Remember our trip to the beach? We found him and a number of his friends pottering around, religiously making these lovely patterns.
Mummy told me to stand absolutely still and not dig after him so she could get a few photos of him. And being the good girl that I am, I let her.
I am glad because I think he is a very interesting and artistic little fellow and I am very pleased to present to you his exclusive photos, up close and personal!
Don’t you think the patterns he makes are exquisite?
We researched him for you. And here are some cool facts about our ‘Face of the Week’.
1. He is also called ‘The Soldier Crab’ because he sometimes moves around in large herds.
2. The small balls of sand he forms are called Crab-Pellets. He scrapes the sand into his mouth, sifts any organic, edible matter and rejects the sand grains in the form of a ball!
3. He breathes through his legs! He has a little membrane in his legs which helps in exchange of oxygen.
4. He has some stiff hair on his underbelly that helps him stick to the sand and draw water from between the grains of sand for rehydration in the heat.
5. He is very sensitive and quickly withdraws into his burrow at the slightest hint of movement may it be life-forms around him, a flying leaf or a plastic bag, only to re-emerge
6. When the tide comes in, he withdraws inside and seals his burrow. And he waits for the next low-tide so he can go back to his pottering!
Even as we watched, a large wave washed off his beautiful handiwork, bringing with it a small conch but making our little friend disappear into his home.
Till the next tide, I am told?
Pee Ess: Thank you so very much, Dear Pawple, for the understanding our predicament (and inconvenience due to our Secretary-Editor’s busy-ness).
We are glad to have so many Furiends who understand. Btw, we still are struggling to catch up with you all, but rest assured we will definitely make it.
If you want to see more faces, please visit 'Spacial Peepol' . Maybe you will want to join this meme.