Tuesday, June 24, 2014

BUDDY, SHERU and other blessings

 

It has been over 10 days now since Ricky left. Like someone had said, ‘We didn’t realize we were making memories. We were just having fun’.

Pawprints_172

( Finding ‘Our sign’ in an ancient stone sculpture at The National Museum )

 

Two Sundays came and went in a flash. There was so much to do. The weather’s changing fast from very dry and hot to moist and humid, and hot still!

P has been working in the garden a lot potting new plants- this time trying out a few experiments with vermiculite instead of plain old soil. Quite a number of the plants look really promising while a few are sad and morose. It has been rather difficult this time to save the plants anyway, what with the terrible heat and almost zero humidity. Five of my precious plants just dried up and died. I’m really looking forward to P’s experiments that promise stronger roots that’ll keep the plants alive for sure.

 

Pawprints_168

 

Pawprints_169

 

Pawprints_170

 

Pawprints_171

 

Ginger, Buddy and Shadow seem pretty relieved to be able to stay out on their walks for longer now, with the stifling heat no longer forcing us all to get back to the air –conditioning.

 

Pawprints_173

 

Then there is football, of course. I do not want to get into the intricacies here but I feel rather like the Hogwart’s sorting hat at the moment. Which team does one root for? When your country isn’t playing, that is. ‘D-I-F-F-I-C-U-L-T, verry D-I-F-F-I-C-U-L-T!

As I ponder over all the reasons that I’ve had to be thankful for this week, I’m grateful there are so many. One that so very close to my heart is Sheru.

 

Pawprints_175

 

My precious boy is fast regaining his strength. He is eating almost like when he was well and fit, and is walking all over the campus again. I no longer leave his food in his bowl at the gate like I used to earlier. Now I just take it down to him and sit talking to him till he finishes. Just to make sure he eats all of it.

Those early days after he had just come back from the shelter were so uncertain. He had lost almost all his appetite and wasn’t eating more than just a handful. Everyday I debated with myself about admitting him at the vet’s. But then there was this little feling that said all he needed was a lot of love and good food and rest, which he seemed to get at this place which he had known all his life. Kind words from you, my blog friends helped me more than you can imagine. And then there was Ricky. He used to say with all the innocence of a child, ‘Sheru HAS to get well. If I think he’ll die I get nightmares. I can’t sleep at night.’ Exactly his words. And may be they did their magic, for Sheru is definitely going to live. And like in the old days, he would lift his old fuzzy head up, sniff the air and wag and whine whenever I happen to pass by, even if it’s not food-time.

He has taken up permanent residence in our block (on the ground floor) near the lift to our apartment (which is on the fourth floor). Again, I’m thankful for the fact that no one has raised an objection to his being there. Someone has been leaving him food and water. Good intentions, I agree. But I somehow feel every dog deserves a little respect when it comes to food and I do not believe in throwing around pieces of bread, biscuits or rice on the floor. How much effort does it take to leave a disposable bowl or paper?

Besides, Sheru doesn’t eat any of it so it’s just litter that might enrage some residents who aren’t all that dog friendly, which in turn might make things difficult for Sheru.

I haven’t told anyone anything but quietly asked the ‘garbage-guy’ to pick up any ‘stray food’ lying around.

They are kind simple souls. Unless told, they never remove any of the food even when it is no longer edible. They imagine Sheru might eat some of it when hungry.

I explained that Sheru has his fill of fresh home-cooked meals and milk which is his favorite and will not go hungry so they need not hesitate to pick up uneaten food. Now at least there’s no litter. His water bowl lies undisturbed though and I often find it full when I go to fill it. Bless whoever has been taking the trouble to do that!

Continuing to count my blessings I come to today’s – Our dearest, sweetest Buddy boy has been with us now for five years! It was on this day, in fact just a few hours back from this hour one dry, warm evening in Hyderabad five years back that Buddy- then Tommy- came home to live with us.

Now, when I watch him snoozing on the sofa next to me watching me have my green-tea with half open eyes, hoping for a biscuit, I once again realize how he lives in a large place in my heart. He is at peace totally and doesn’t realize it is an important day. But as I watch him I know how important this day is for me- Us – in so many ways. It feels like he just came home the other day. Then again, sometimes, it feels like he has been with us forever….

 

Pawprints_163

 

Pawprints_165

 

Pawprints_166

 

Thank you, Buddy for being OUR Boy. I cannot be grateful enough that you are family. HAPPY ‘GOTCHA’ Day!!

 

 

 

7 comments:

Kelly said...

What a lovely post! I'm so glad to see (hear) that Sheru is doing so much better.

Happy "gotcha" day to Buddy!!

Molly the Airedale said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Buddy! What a sweet photo of you and Ricky. Our hearts are singing to see Sheru looking so well ♥

Love ya lots♥
Mitch and Molly

tks316 said...

I knew Sheru would roar again. :D

snoopydogknits said...

Such a wonderful post. I just had to read every single word to hear about dear Sheru. He really is such a dear dog. Then there's beautiful Buddy. People who don't have doggy companions can have no idea of the deep love and happiness that they share with us. Love to you all, including dear Sheru! Ros

World of Animals, Inc said...

Happy Gotcha Day, Buddy!! We hope you had a wonderful day of celebrating with the family. So many sweet photos of you all. Thanks for sharing the lovely post. Have a wonderful day.
World of Animals

Aish Oberoi said...

Shop the best puppy food online from best online pet shop in gurgaon at https://pawrulz.com/

Pawrulz said...

Great by all means and a very informative blog. I’ve learned something new today, keep sharing worthy info like this!


https://pawrulz.com/cat-wet-food/

Share